Indigo Rain - Apologies Indigo Rain - Apologies

I love this song. I must say I love most all of your music you post. Your songs have been a huge inspiration for me over the year or so i have made music. There was a large Improvement in my works thanks to dissecting your songs over hundreds of times of listening =). A thanks i suppose, and great work as usual.

Indigorain responds:

Wow, that means a lot! Thanks! :D

Straight Straight

Wow... I'm in awe at the sheer quality of this song. I really just have to simply make a list of things as there is not much to say about it. It speaks for itself i most cases i have to say.

Things i liked: The singing was suburb, mixing mastering was something to talk about in itself. The song composition really flowed nicely, it pushed and pulled at just the right places. There again isn't much to say about it, the song speaks for itself as far as all the good it has in it.

A few things bad things:I heard a few slightly off notes from the lead in random occurrences through out the song. 1:23-1:25( not talking about the intentional dissonance) and again at 2:20 for a 1 or 2 notes. The back up singing comes in slightly after the main singers words are sung at 1:43-1:45.

Personal guitar taste- sweep solos/altitudes make everything cooler.

jakeghost responds:

Thanks again for your reviewing Zafrece, I really appreciate it and am glad you liked the song. I'm surprised at the response I have had about the 'quality' of it, as it is just a demo version if what is going to be recorded properly for my band's EP- I'll post it here too so hopefully you'll be able to hear some improvements, especially on the vocals!

Sol Soberstein Sol Soberstein

Fun to pull out ye old F hole guitar and jam along. Loving it.

The Beauty of Madness The Beauty of Madness

Yup, loved it. Very intense, beautiful and meaningful all rolled up into a single song. Another piece of art sir.

jaysummers759885 responds:

*tips his hat* Thank you my young friend.

~J

FTO - The Arrival FTO - The Arrival

the re-verb on the strings was so over powering, it was hard to even distinguish the notes themselves. I loved the song, but a few mastering issues really threw the whole thing off kilter for me. Keep those channels EQd, balance out your hertz ranges. Keep most chans-10db pre mastering to avoid peaking post mastering. slight compression could help rein in those loose peaks.

Dimensional Distortion Dimensional Distortion

I loved the song music itself, however the vocals were overpowering and slightly off key often though out the song.

DTS - The Edge ft. Lockyn DTS - The Edge ft. Lockyn

Easy on that compression m8, my speakers were yelling at me to turn them down. Hyper compression and making the audio a big ol sausage isn't really an effective form of mastering...

DetiousMusic responds:

Well it's actually this electro bass and the sub bass interfering, I'll fix it right away cause it does seem loud. ;p I "remastered" it once and I made too loud, time for round 2 haha thanks man!
Edit: I just attempted to fix it, in Ableton it sounds perf, but once I mix it down it clashes really bad at certain parts. Dx

Circumnavigating the Glob Circumnavigating the Glob

That bass sounds like its trying to break through that ceiling at times. Normally your basses are nice and subtle, well mastered and eqed. I'm uncertian if it's the new fusion of different genres that makes up this song that caused the change in smooth bases or if it is indeed peaking. Either way i still love your music style, i have become addicted to those modulations. tips hat keep it up as usual

OcularNebula responds:

well, I'm sure it's not clipping, but I guess it might just be too loud and very sub-heavy

sorry if dat bass ain't yo cup o' tea, I'm glad you like my "style" tho, haha

The Carmine Dragon alternated The Carmine Dragon alternated

I love the song, but again i feel the mastering and eqing is taking away from the potential of the song as a whole. Be sure to separate all your channels. Don't be insulted if you know this information already, im just posting it from another comment i left some one some time ago as i am too lazy to rewrite it

General hertz guide-30-140 give or take, add body to a song. It gives it a flow if you will and helps blend tones and establish a feel. 140 htz to 400 htz this is your tonal bass or the bass that you generally hear that helps set the key or mode of a song. This is also where songs can tend to get muddy if not eqd correctly. mid range 400-2.5k give or take on taste, this is mostly where lower ranged chords go in to set the key in which something is being played. Upper mid, 2.5k -5.3k- Higher chords can be placed in here to help establish a mode of a said key along with leads. If chords are placed here they usually accompany the drums to emphasis the beat or add to syncopation. 5.2k-18k ( not much use going into 19-20k as those simply mud up the mix for the most part) this range is your high hats, harmonic tones of melodies and the crispness of the song all rest in this range.

General mixing tips- You should make sure to leave the unmastered kick below -6 or -8 db, ( depending on genre) that should be the loudest part of the mix, followed by the bass. pads and chords depending on how loud you want them should generally fall under -10 give or take depending on taste ( again this is unmastered, db levels, the mastering process db levels are generally based on style of music, see online guides for specific genre mastering levels)
+ 12 db = 400% volume increase.
+ 6db = 200%
+ 1 dB = around 10%
0 dB - No change.
- 6 dB = 50% volume decrease (half the original level).
- 12 dB = 75% volume decrease (to 25% of the original level).

Deshiel responds:

Good tips and observations cannot insult me.

If I gave more time and effort into the track it would sound much better and the volume and frequency adjustment would be much more tighter. I'm not afraid to admitt that I'm a very lazy person and all the fail you are hearing is more likely a product of my laziness rather than lack of knowledge.
I'm realy thankful for your insight tho and I'm taking the feedback very seriously.

Helix- Fear[HD] Helix- Fear[HD]

Slight bit of peaking, again you seem to have boosted those nasty 100-300 hertz a bit too high. They are drowning out the mix and causing unwanted mud in the mix. Crisp up those upper hertz ranges, and again lower the mid slightly. It almost sounds like you have a cutt off filter linked to the main chan. The mix is very muddy, however if this was taken via mp3 and re-mastered, you don't have many options to reEQ the original mix. On that note heavy heavy post mastering and specific hertz compression will get you out of those binds easily.

Deshiel responds:

What sound system are you using? Because over here it ain't muddy at all.

I tried it out on my senhaizer headphones
and Z4 2.1 soundsystem.